>Have you ever stood over a running faucet and thought to yourself what an absolute shame it is to basically watch your hard earned money go down the drain while you wait for the hot water to come through? It is most definitely a waste to mother nature but of course to our own personal time as well. For those who don’t know, in order to actually receive the hot water, all the cold water must be flushed out prior. Even with this, you never get immediate hot water. The heat from the water will become absorbed through the cold pipes as it travels through until it’s completely warmed up resulting in even more wasted water. With this being said, what are some things you can do to have more energy efficient pluming? Well, let’s find out!
Hot Water Demand System
An efficient and easy installment energy saving method would be the hot water demand system, also known as a tank-less water heater. These works by:
- Turning on the hot water demand system.
- It will then pump blasts water through the piping fixture.
- Hot water is then returned to the water heater through the cold water return pipe.
- Once the water is returned, the pump then shuts off.
- The average use time is only a few seconds making it extremely energy efficient.An average family that uses a hot water demand system will only spend $2 a year in electricity. A hot water demand system can save a family of 4 up to 14,000 gallons a year by preventing the waste of cold water being flushed down the drain.
Insulated Hot Water Pipes
One of the more simple energy solutions, insulating your water pipes can prevent them from cooling off as quickly which makes it easier for new hot water as it doesn’t have to exert as much heat to the pipes. This piping insulation preserves the existing heat so that less water is wasted due to cooler temperatures.
Do you find yourself throwing your dollar bills down the drain? Do you think you may benefit from insulated hot water pipes or perhaps your pipes need to be replaced? If so, contact us today at Done Plumbing & Heating. Let us take care of all your plumbing needs for you!